This is a summary of publications from the STARSurg Collaborative regarding our annual collaborative audits. This was last updated on 7 December 2021.
For non-protocol papers, collaborators are pubmed-citable under a single corporate authorship (e.g. “STARSurg Collaborative”), and so can be cited within your Curriculum Vitae.
Suggested citation format
STARSurg Collaborative (Bloggs J, [insert role as appropriate]). Impact of post-operative non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on adverse events after gastrointestinal surgery. Brit J Surg, 2014 ;101(11):1413-23.)
1. Student Audit and Research in Surgery (STARSurg) Collaborative and European Surgical (EuroSurg) Collaborative. CArdiovaSCulAr outcomes after major abDominal surgEry: study protocol for a multicentre, observational, prospective, international audit of postoperative cardiac complications after major abdominal surgery. Br J Anaesth. 2022; DOI: 10.1016/j.bja.2022.02.012. (Protocol)
1. EuroSurg Collaborative. Management of COMPlicAted intra‐abdominal collectionS after colorectal Surgery (COMPASS): protocol for a multicentre, observational, prospective, international study of drain placement practices in colorectal surgery. Colorectal Dis. 2020; 22 (12): 2315-2321. PMID: 32716111. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/codi.15275. (Protocol)
|1. EuroSurg Collaborative. Ileus Management International (IMAGINE): protocol for a multicentre, observational study of ileus after colorectal surgery. Colorectal Dis. 2018; 20 (1): O17-O25. PMID: 29178625. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/codi.13976. (Protocol)|
|2. EuroSurg Collaborative. Safety and efficacy of non‐steroidal anti‐inflammatory drugs to reduce ileus after colorectal surgery. BJS. 2020; 107 (2): e161-e169. PMID: 31595986. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bjs.11326. (Main Paper)|
|3. EuroSurg Collaborative. Safety of hospital discharge before return of bowel function after elective colorectal surgery. BJS. 2020; 107 (5): p552-p559. PMID: 31976560. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bjs.11422. (Satellite Paper)|
|4. EuroSurg Collaborative. Timing of nasogastric tube insertion and risk of postoperative pneumonia: international, prospective cohort study. Colorectal Dis. 2020; 22 (12): 2288-2297. PMID: 34092023. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/codi.15311. (Satellite Paper)|
|1. Nepogodiev D, Chapman SJ, Glasbey JC, Kelly M, Khatri C, Fitzgerald JE, Bhangu A. Multicentre observational cohort study of NSAIDs as risk factors for postoperative adverse events in gastrointestinal surgery. BMJ Open. 2014; 4 (6): e005164. PMID: 24972607. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmjopen-2014-005164. (Protocol)|
|2. STARSurg Collaborative. Impact of post-operative non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs on adverse events after gastrointestinal surgery. BJS. 2014; 101 (11): 1413-23. PMID: 25091299. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bjs.9614. (Main Paper)|
|1. Khatri C, Chapman SJ, Glasbey J, Kelly M, Nepogodiev D, Bhangu A, Fitzgerald JE; STARSurg Committee. Social media and internet driven study recruitment: evaluating a new model for promoting collaborator engagement and participation. PLoS One. 2015; 10 (3): e0118899. PMID: 25775005. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0118899.|
|2. Nepogodiev D, National Surgical Research Collaborative. UK surgical trainees will continue to support European research collaboration. Lancet. 2016; 388 (10043): 459-60. PMID: 27507749. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(16)31151-5.|
|3. National Research Collaborative & Association of Surgeons in Training Collaborative Consensus Group. Recognising contributions to work in research collaboratives: Guidelines for standardising reporting of authorship in collaborative research. Int J Surg. 2018; 52: 355-360. PMID: 29292217. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2017.12.019.|
|4. Ahmed W, Mills E, Khaw R, McLean K, Glasbey J. Collaborative Student Research Efforts Provide a Solution to Research Wastage. Re: Glasziou P, Chalmers I. Research waste is still a scandal-an essay by Paul Glasziou and Iain Chalmers. BMJ. 2018; 363: k4645. Original article DOI: https://doi.org/10.1136/bmj.k4645|
|5. Ahmed WU, Mills E, Khaw RA, McLean KA, Glasbey JC. Collaborative student research efforts provide a solution to research wastage. BMJ. 2019; 364: 1795. PMID: 30850367. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.l795.|
1. Kong C, Glasbey J, Mohan M, McNamee L, Fitzgerald JE. Caution when interpreting anti-inflammatory drug effects in rat models of gastrointestinal anastomosis. Am J Surg. 2016; 211 (1): 303-4. PMID: 26095017. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amjsurg.2015.04.005.
2. Drake TM, Nepogodiev D, Claireaux H. Selective vs Nonselective Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs and Anastomotic Leakage After Colorectal Surgery. JAMA Surg. 2015; 150 (7): 686. PMID: 25946128. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1001/jamasurg.2015.0806.
3. Ahmed W, Mills E, Khaw R, McLean K, Glasbey J. Collaborative Student Research Efforts Provide a Solution to Research Wastage. Re: Glasziou P, Chalmers I. Research waste is still a scandal-an essay by Paul Glasziou and Iain Chalmers. BMJ. 2018; 363: k4645.
4. Drake TM, Ahmed W, Khaw RA, Yasin I, Baker D, Mills E, Kamarajah SK, Borakati A (On Behalf of the STARSurg Collaborative). Peri-operative acute kidney injury – a reply. Anaesethesia. 2019; 74 (2): 248. PMID: 30656658. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1111/anae.14552.
5. McLean KA, Ahmed WU, Akhbari M, Nepogodiev D. Author response to: Does preoperative contrast administration really not affect the occurrence of acute kidney injury after major gastrointestinal surgery??. Brit J Surg. 2020; 107 (7): e233. PMID: 32379340. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1002/bjs.11630.
6. STARSurg Collaborative. Response to “Comment on Perioperative Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drugs (NSAID) Administration and Acute Kidney Injury (AKI) in Major Gastrointestinal Surgery”. Ann Surg. 2021; [epub ahead of print]. PMID: 33630429. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1097/SLA.0000000000004819.
7. Nicholas Pari Tekkis, Damir Rafi, Sam Brown , Alona Courtney , Michal Kawka, Ann-Marie Howelld , Kenneth McLean , Matthew Gardiner , Stella Mavroveli , Peter Hutchinson, Paris Tekkis, Paul Wilkinson, Amir H. Sam, Nicos Savva, Christos Kontovounisios, COVID Med-Ed and STARSurgCollaborative. The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on UK medical education. A nationwide student survey. Med. Teach. 2021; 1: 1-2. PMID: 34428109. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/0142159X.2021.1962835.
8. STARSurg Collaborative. Medical student engagement with surgery and research during the COVID-19 pandemic: supporting the future workforce for post- pandemic surgical recovery . IJS. 2021; [epub ahead of print]. PMID: 34597820. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2021.106105.
|1. Cork N, Llewellyn O, Glasbey J, Khatri C; Royal Society of Medicine Student Members Group; STARSurg Collaborative. Bridging medical education and clinical practice. Lancet. 2014; 384 (9954): 1575. PMID: 25443488. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(14)61983-8.|
|2. Chapman SJ, Glasbey JC, Khatri C, Kelly M, Nepogodiev D, Bhangu A, Fitzgerald JE. Promoting research and audit at medical school: evaluating the educational impact of participation in a student-led national collaborative study. BMC Med Educ. 2015; 15: 47. PMID: 25879617. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1186/s12909-015-0326-1.|
|3. Drake TM, Bath M, Claireaux HA, Kong C, Khatri C, McNamee L, Mohan M; STARSurg Student Collaborative. Training and trials–building a future. BMJ. 2015; 350: h2772. PMID: 26014828. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/bmj.h2772.|
|4. STARSurg Collaborative. Students’ participation in collaborative research should be recognised. Int J Surg. 2017; 39: 234-237. PMID: 28167380. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.ijsu.2017.01.114.|
|5. STARSurg Collaborative. Medical research and audit skills training for undergraduates: an international analysis and student-focused needs assessment. Postgrad Med J. 2018; 94 (1107): 37-42. PMID: 28866608. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1136/postgradmedj-2017-135035.|
|6. Burke JR, JGlasbey J, Nepogodiev D, Drake T, Blencowe N, Rooshenas L, Fitzgerald EJ, Fearnhead NS, Blazeby JM, Bach S, Bhangu A. Improving communication in recruitment consultations for randomised controlled trials. RCS Bull. 2017; 99 (7): 260-263. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1308/rcsbull.2017.260.|
|7. STARSurg Collaborative, EuroSurg Collaborative, TASMAN Collaborative. Medical student involvement in the COVID-19 response. Lancet. 2020; 395 (10232): 1254. PMID: 32247322. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/S0140-6736(20)30795-9.|
Medical student engagement with surgery and research during the COVID-19 pandemic: supporting the future workforce for post- pandemic surgical recovery (Medical Teacher, 2021)
The impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on UK medical education. A nationwide student survey (International Journal of Surgery, 2021)